CHOIRS IN SPACE
The 2016 Tenso Professionals Meeting (TPM) took place from 5-7 February in Marseille and was hosted by Tenso member Musicatreize.
Topic of this TPM was all about getting away from the traditional concert setting. From spatial music to performances in extraordinary locations, or even under the blue sky – how do choirs work with this challenge ? In two days of presentations and discussions, the participants looked at inspiring examples, and learned how to avoid disasters, in order to involve audiences in unforgettable experiences.
TPM 2016 investigated the topic together with invited speakers:
- Roland Hayrabedian (FR) about ‘Odyssée dans l’espace…” and other Musicatreize concerts in different spaces.
- Oliver Beer (UK) about his Resonance Project;
- Bruno De Cat (BE) shared the expertise accumulated in the New Music, New Audiences project;
- sound technician Arturs Perkons (LV) about the acoustics of spaces, inside and outside;
- Bernhard Heß (DE) about RIAS Kammerchor’s Forumkonzerte project: concerts at special locations, with a programmatic connection between music and venue;
- Jochen Sandig (DE) about human requiem (link to Youtube) together with the Rundfunkchor Berlin.
Other inspiring examples
- ACCATTONE at the Ruhrtriiiennale (in cooperation with Collegium Vocale Gent), staged performance at the Kohlenmischhalle at Zeche Lochberg, Dinslaken (Germany).
- Four singers of Det Norske Solistkor sing from within a caravan, to be used as a jukebox by the audience.
- Musicatreize in the front of the Opera de Marseille, singing a ritual piece resounding urban sirens
More information and links on the page for participants (password protected). If you want access, send an email to
meeting @ tensonetwork.eu (remove spaces before use)