The next edition of the Tenso Young Composers Workshop will be organized during Tenso Days Mechelen (16 -18 May 2014) and Tenso Days Riga (October 2014).
DOWNLOAD THE CALL FOR APPLICATIONS (with extended deadline, pdf)
The call for applications will close on 15 April 2014, 18:00 CET.
Five young composers will be invited to join us from 16 to 18 May in Mechelen (Belgium) for the Tenso Days. During two sessions, they will work on (fragments of) a choral score with the DR Vokalensemblet, composer/conductor James Wood and composer Leo Samama.
Two or three of the composers will be selected for a follow-up workshop in Riga in October 2014, where they will have the opportunity to work in more detail on a new composition for chamber choir. A jury consisting of artistic directors and conductors of Tenso choirs will finally award a commission to one composer, who will be asked to write a new work to be performed in the 2015/2016 season by Tenso choirs.
The Tenso Young Composers Workshop wants to help promising young composers to take the step to writing for choir. Rather than giving confirmation to those who have already shown their skills in writing choral music, we especially want to give encouragement and practical support to those who have not.
Who can apply?
Composers under 30 (born in or after 1984), or composers who have recently (after 1 July 2011) received a degree in composition at a music academy or conservatory.
How to apply?
• Send two scores in PDF format to [email protected], together with the completed application form (doc) /application form (pdf) in PDF format.
• One score should be a work for chamber ensemble (max 8 instruments / parts), the other should be a work for voice (with or without accompaniment)
• The title of the pdf files should contain the (family) name of the composer (example: yourlastname_titleof the piece.pdf).
• The maximum size of any file is 2 Mb; larger files will not be accepted.
• References from teachers or performers are welcome but not obligatory. Only pdf’s will be accepted.
• Emails with attached sound files, and files in other formats than pdf, will not be accepted
• Links to websites where more information, sound files, video etc can be found are welcomed
• The accompanying email should contain your name and the name of the attached files.
• A simple PDF converter (install as printer): http://www.cogniview.com/cc-free-pdf-converter
• Applications that do not comply to these conditions will not be reviewed – so please contact us if you encounter problems !
• The extended deadline is 15 April 2014 18:00 hrs CET.
Selection for first round
A jury will select five composers to be invited to Mechelen for two sessions on 16 and 18 May 2014, taking place during Tenso Days Mechelen. Those selected will be asked to bring a short piece of max. 3 minutes — or fragment(s) of a piece — for a capella chamber choir (S/A/T/B), max. 8 parts (separate voices), max. 20 singers.
Accomodation and travel
Hotel and travel to Mechelen (from an airport in Europe) will be arranged for the selected composers. In addition, the participants will be able to join the Tenso seminars and attend the concerts of Tenso Days Mechelen.
Please contact project manager Babette Greiner.