The next edition of the Tenso Young Composers Workshop will be organized in 2012 during the Nordic Music Days in Stockholm (10-13 October 2012), the second round taking place during Tenso Days Mechelen in May 2013.
The call for applications closed on 12 September 2012.
Five young composers will be invited to come to the 2012 Nordic Music Days in Stockholm (10-13 October 2012). During two sessions, they will work on (fragments of) a choral score with the Eric Ericson Kammarkör, composer/conductor James Wood and conductor Fredrik Malmberg. Two or three of the composers will be selected for a follow-up workshop to take place in the spring of 2013, where they will have the opportunity to work in more detail on a new composition for chamber choir. A jury consisting of artistic directors and conductors of Tenso choirs will finally award a commission to one composer, who will be asked to write a new work to be performed in the 2013/2014 season by Tenso choirs.
Tenso wants to encourage young composers who have not written for choir yet, but who would like to do so. The selection procedure explicitly does not require choral works to be sent in; instead, we will select on the basis of promise shown in chamber repertoire (choral or not) and works for voice with accompaniment.
Who can apply?
Composers under 30 (born in or after 1983), or composers who have recently (after 1 July 2010) received a degree in composition at a music academy or conservatory.
How to apply?
• Send two scores in PDF format to email@example.com
• One score should be a work for chamber ensemble (max 8 instruments / parts), the other should be a work for voice (with or without accompaniment)
• The title of the pdf files should contain the (family) name of the composer (example: yourlastname_titleof the piece.pdf).
• The maximum size of any file is 2 Mb; larger files will not be accepted.
• References from teachers or performers are welcome but not obligatory. Only pdf’s will be accepted.
• Emails with attached sound files, and files in other formats than pdf, will not be accepted
• Links to websites where more information, sound files, video etc can be found are welcomed
• The accompanying email should contain name, age, names of attached files, (optional) links to websites.
• Applications that do not comply to these conditions will not be reviewed !
• The deadline is 12 September 2012 18:00 hrs CET.
Selection for first round
A jury will select five composers to be invited to Stockholm for two sessions on 11 and 12 October 2012. Those selected will be asked to bring a short piece of max. 3 minutes — or fragment(s) of a piece — for a capella chamber choir (S/A/T/B), max. 8 parts (separate voices), max. 24 singers.
Accomodation and travel
Hotel and travel to Stockholm (from an airport in Europe) will be arranged for the selected composers. In
addition, the participants will be able to join the Tenso seminars on vocal techniques and composing for choir, and attend the concerts at Nordic Music Days (see www.nordicmusicdays.org)
Please contact project manager Babette Greiner
· TYCW Award 2011